Monday, June 12, 2017

June 12, 2017 - Searching and Writing


Searching and Writing

This morning I had a goal in mind when I finally struggled out the warm blanket.  I wanted to discover where the trufis to Montero leave from.  I was told it was near the bus terminal, but I didn’t look well the last time I was there.
Like I said, it was a struggle to get out of bed, but at 11:00 I was finally dressed and ready to explore.  But it was 11:00.  I had skipped breakfast and was now ready for lunch.  My normal option is to take a walk to the Plaza and enjoy La Pascana.  They treat me well, so I opted for normal this morning.

It was cold so I skipped the Coca-Cola I usually get and had a café con leche.  Just two years ago, I could go six months between coffees.  Now I have three or four a week.  Becoming a habit, but I like it.  Sebastian suggested I eat the picanha, a grilled steak cut into slightly larger than bite-size piece.  It comes with yucca and pico de gallo.  I couldn’t ask for a better meal for $15.
I spent about an hour and a half there writing.  Yes, there is the constant background noise of pop music that everyone seems enamored with.  Yes, there were two people nearby smoking and a man talking too loudly on his phone.  But I get relaxed there.  For me, the writer, it has become an extension of my home, a place I can write without being disturbed.  
In yesterday’s blog, I talked about a scene in a restaurant in Barcelona.  I wanted to see if I could develop the idea.  I lost track of the time writing.  I’ve heard that Hemmingway said, “The best way to become a writer is to go off and write.”  That is my goal in Bolivia.  I have escaped for a while, I don’t know how long, and I am writing.  I don’t know what others think, but I feel my writing is getting better.  Well, an hour later, I had six pages of my composition book filled with descriptions of a scene over lunch in Barcelona.

Around 1:00, I set out to discover a few things.  First, I wanted to study ice cream row a little better.  Calle Ayacucho for more than a block off the plaza has restaurants with ice cream counters facing the street.  At night, the ice cream counters are packed.  But I had heard these are some really good restaurants.  Walking by I noticed that one is a Fridolin, a very good Santa Cruz chain, and another Wistupiku, a good Cochabamba chain.  I’ve eaten at two different ones of each, so I’ll have to try these soon.  Just don’t tell La Pascana!
I walked Calle Ayacucho to the First Ring at the Cañoto statue.  I figured if there were trufis that go to Warnes or Montero, I would find them somewhere in this area.  Well, in less than a city block, I saw three different trufis with a sign to Warnes or Montero on the window.  How did I never notice those before?  I was in the right area.  A block from the bus terminal there were a dozen trufis that advertised Satelite Norte.  A good idea is to ask another trufi driver where the trufis are, so I did just that.  He pointed across the First Ring for the trufis to Warnes and just behind him, about a block, the trufis to Montero. 

A walk down the block led me to an office much like the one I have used several times to go to Cotoca.   A big man, easily as big as me, was outside.  I asked a few questions about the trip.  They start leaving as early as 5:00 and it costs 10 Bs.  I think 5:00 is too early, but maybe 8:00 will do.  
With the price of 10 Bs., I figured out the trufi rate.  It costs 30 Bs. to go to Samaipata, a trip of about three hours.  It costs 5 Bs. to go to Cotoca, a trip of about half an hour.  And it costs 10 Bs. to go to Montero, a trip of one hour.  So the basic rate is 10 Bs. for an hour long trip.  I’m now wondering where else I can go in trufi.
At least, if it is not raining tomorrow, I am headed for Montero!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...