Tuesday, June 6, 2017

June 6, 2017 - Adding Color


June 6, 2017

Adding Color

I discovered I was color-blind before first grade.  I remember where I was.  We lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico.  Mom was a stay-at-home mother while we lived there and did many fun things to entertain us. 

One morning, I was coloring in a coloring book.  Mom asked, “Mark, why are you coloring the grass brown?”  I don’t remember what I answered, but the crayon looked right to me.  Once I learned to read I was able to keep the colors straight, except when they had crazy names.  I have always had problems differentiating between browns and greens, and blues and purples.  I don’t see red the way the rest of the world does.  I remember someone commenting on a bush covered with red roses.  From a distance, I didn’t see the red.

Getting the colors just right in life has affected my novels.  To me it is important that they have color.  And not just color, but I want all the senses represented.  To me it is important that all the senses are represented in my writing.  I can tell you I consciously look at ways to tell you the colors I imagine, the sounds, the smells, and the tastes.
While editing Onesimus, my latest novel, I developed a template to check if I was helping you, the reader, experience all the senses in this book, and to see all the colors.  After I finished the novel, I printed out my template.  I have a few select people reading my novel for specific things.  Virginia for grammar and word choice.  My dad for getting the gospel message across accurately.  My mom for the emotions it evokes.  So after they are finished, and I make the necessary changes, I will take my template, read each chapter over again, looking to see if I had adequately colorized my novel.  Could you see what I was seeing?  Smell what I smelled?  Tasted the food? Or heard the birds the way I did?  If you so, then I have succeeded.  

In real life, I might wear a purple t-shirt that I thought was blue, or not notice the cascade of red bougainvillea, but I want you to see them in my novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...