Wednesday, June 14, 2017

June 14, 2017 - People on the Streets


People on the Streets

When I was home recently, I was asked if I am afraid living in a third world country.  With some, like my Aunt Sara or my friend Elaine, it was an honest desire to know what it is like living here.  With others, I won’t mention any names, they have a look of terror on their faces, as if the thought of living here would mean a quick death by something worse than the horror films Hans used to make me watch.

Here is what I see walking the streets of Bolivia, whether in a big city like Santa Cruz or a small town like Samaipata.  I see kids chasing pigeons or hiding from their friends behind a statue.  I see boys in blue slacks and white shirts acting like boys while on their way to school.  I see a lady in high heels scurrying across the Plaza.  I see two old men playing chess, with a teenager studying every move.  I see an old lady sitting outside her shop, concentrating on her crocheting.  I see two teenagers in love, holding hands.  I see a young man turn and take a second look at a pretty young lady.  I see someone paying more attention to his phone than the taxi coming by.  And I see taxi drivers stressed out by traffic.

These people are too busy with their lives to worry about me.  It is true that my retirement check, half of what I earned as a teacher, is double the average income of a Bolivian.  They aren’t concerned about me.  When I walk down the street, I pass by people minding their own business.  Maybe one in twenty gives me a second look.  I know I don’t look like the average Bolivian.  I’m too fat and my eyes are blue-green.


When I first meet Bolivians, they are curious about me.  The normal questions they ask are, “Why are you here?”  “How do you like Bolivia?”  “What do you think about Trump?  “How is America different from Bolivia?”


The conversations often turn into someone telling me where I need to go in Bolivia.  These are people proud of their country.  They want me to visit the city of their birth, whether Potosi, Sucre, Cobija, or San Ignacio.  It makes them proud that I, a complete stranger, love their land.

Some people are becoming regulars in my life, like the waiters at La Pascana, Café Patrimonio, Teconté, or Starbucks; also, the lady who cuts my hair and the young men who are doormen of my building.  They ask me about where I have visited recently, or ask me about my writing.  I can assure you, not one of them is out to get me because I am a foreigner.  They smile at my bad Spanish and keep on talking!

So back to the original question.  Am I afraid living here?  No, not for a second!

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...