Monday, June 5, 2017

June 5, 2017 - The Legend of Bibosi and Motacu


The Legend of Bibosi and Motacú

One thing I learned living in Bolivia in the 1980s was the value of friendship.  The friends I made are friends for life.  Or as several of my friends said, we are family.  They have become my comfort zone.  In a matter of days, I made a new batch of friends, and I know they also will be friends for life.  
Several learned that I was posting a blog and a lot of pictures about Bolivia.  They recognized that I love Bolivia and want to share the beauty of their land to my friends in the States.  Now they send me messages, such as “did you know this about the Cristo statue,” or “did you know manzana can be apple or city block?”  Some have sent me links to research things a little more. Two have given me books they thought might help.  Just as I think I will run out of something to write about in my blog, I learn something new.  
I was not sure how I would write five blogs a week last fall. My life isn’t that exciting.  But I have wanted to share with you the beauty of this culture.  My friends are giving me so many ideas that I am about three weeks ahead on blogs and have many more ideas to research.
The idea for today’s blog was given to me by my friend, Matilde, a teacher at the SCCLC.
The motacú is a palm tree found in the tropical lowlands of Santa Cruz.  Often when you see one it will be entwined by bibosi, a vine that is a member of the fig family of trees.  The bibosi will wrap itself around the motacú, creating strong roots, and oftentimes killing the host tree.
The legend of these trees goes something like this.  A beautiful girl, Motacú, was in love with a handsome young man, named Bibosi.  The two could be seen everywhere together, because they loved each other more than life.
The girl’s parents did not feel the same about the romance, so they looked for a young man who was more “appropriate” for their daughter.  The parents refused to allow Bibosi to court her any more.  Reluctantly she relented, but with many tears.
Motacú told her love, Bibosi, about her parents plans and began to cry on his shoulder. He hugged her as he comforted her.  Jealous of the man her parents had selected for their daughter, he refused to let go.  He hugged her so tightly, that they died there on the spot, their arms intertwined in love and turning into trees.
The bibosi tree, like the young man, intertwines itself around the motacú palm, like the girl, eventually killing the palm.
Yes, that is how intense the love is here in Santa Cruz. 

From BoliviaBella.com and my friend Matilde.

 

1 comment:

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...