Monday, March 13, 2017

March 13, 2017 - Going south


March 13, 2017

Going South
For most of this week, I am going to recall my first real escape from Santa Cruz back in early October of 2016.  I had the distinct pleasure of meeting one of the most beautiful little cities, Tarija.  It was the furthest south I have been in Bolivia, almost to the border of Argentina.  Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, is, at the moment, the farthest south I have been.  I hope to go further south.
So on this day, I went to school, wrote lesson plans, as well as made plans for my sub for Monday, since I will be at immigration that day.  I cancelled a tutoring class, partly to get ready to go and partly because the boy had a party that he would miss.  Party wins out.  That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

Since I didn’t have anything to eat at my house, I stopped by my favorite restaurant, La Pascana.  I love that they know me, and know what I probably will order.  I am even learning the names of some of the young people who wait on me; today it was Fabiola.
At home, I washed some clothes and took a nap.  I set an alarm, but I usually am able to take a 10-minute nap and feel refreshed.  I checked the weather to make sure I had packed the right clothes.  I added my jacket at the last minute.  I made sure everything was in my bag, though I can always buy an extra toothbrush at a neighborhood store. 
Soon it was 3:00.  I turned off everything in my house and hurried downstairs.  My regular driver, William couldn’t take me, but said I shouldn’t pay more than 70 or 80 Bs. (about $10).  I found a nice taxista who talked the whole way about where I should go visit in Bolivia.  Cochabamba yes, but Oruro no.  I plan on seeing Oruro, no matter what he thinks.

Getting my ticket and going through security was a snap.  It took less than ten minutes.  One security guard was surprised that my name was Potter. 
“Is that a real name?”
“Yes, it is.  In fact, I have an uncle Harry.”  That always makes them laugh.
I was an hour early, so I had time to get a bite to eat.  I bought a torta de choclo, basically a corn quiche.  I was sitting at Gate 4, where I was supposed to be boarding from, but about 40 minutes before the flight, the gate number changed.  I finished my quiche and went to Gate 3.  About 15 minutes until boarding the gate changed again, so I returned to Gate 4. 

I was one of the first to board the plane and discovered I had a really nice aisle seat, close to the front.  A few minutes later a lady boarded the plane with two toddlers and her mother.  She said her mother was in the opposite aisle seat, and asked if I would change.  Even though I have had a recent history of bad changes on planes, I agreed, because I wanted to be nice.  Well, they lied to me.  The seat they offered was not theirs, so I was stuck searching for a new seat after a man claimed his seat. 
I was angry.  But I am not one who goes berserk and rants.  I just find the new seat and am relieved it is not an hour flight. 
The book the man next to me was reading caught my eye, Los Pasos del Maestro, by Ray Comfort (The Steps of the Master).  Wait!  I know that author.  He is the man I have seen in many videos challenging people’s beliefs about God.  So, I talk to the young man, whose name is José Luis, and discover that he is indeed a Christian.  He is going to Tarija on a conference of psychologists, because he is a Christian Psychologist. My 50-minute flight is taken up with getting to know a man who is a fellow believer. 
I was angry about a silly seat change, but God had other plans for me.  Such a little thing as a changed seat can mean so much in my eternity.  I am glad I was introduced to God’s plans.
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord.  “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.”  Jeremiah 29:11.
Lord, help me, and those who read this blog today, to relax in peace, knowing you have a plan for their lives.
Here is a link to my Amazon author page, where you can find information about my novels.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...