Sunday, March 5, 2017

March 5, 2017 - Sunday Morning at Berea


March 5, 2017 – Sunday

Sunday Morning at Berea

This is another beautiful memory from the fall.  I just got back, so I am reposting some old blogs.  As my new adventures grow, you will see more new posts.

Berea is pastored by the husband of one of my former students, Debbie.  She was an MK, whose parents were missionaries with World Gospel Mission.  Sometimes the love of a place that was not originally your home happens.  She returned from college and married a seminary student, who was also her high school sweetheart.  She was the valedictorian the year I left and it is possible that her daughter will be valedictorian this school year.

Getting here takes 20 minutes in a taxi and costs 20 Bs. (about $3), though some want 25, approaching $4.  The cost is the same on the return trip, unless I can find a bus or micro.  The distance to and from this place is making me wonder if I should look for a place in this area once my lease is up.  If I was closer, I could be here several nights a week and getting to know this church better.

Today, like many Sundays, after a crazy taxi ride (today my taxi driver and another wanted to play bumper cars), I arrived a little late.  Pastor starts the worship at 9:45, but the official start is 10:00.  I arrived around 9:50. Pastor Percy was not upstairs in the sanctuary, so I wondered if my clock was way off this morning.  I greeted him and he said the first service was not over yet.

Berea has two services, one at 8:00 and one at 10:00.   A seminary student was preaching both services and he had not finished preaching in the first service.  He did finish by 10:00 though. 

I discovered as I was going into the sanctuary that the student was Gustavo, one of the men who helps to lead the worship service most Sundays.  I like him.  He greets me almost every Sunday, though the church is big and not easy to greet everyone.  He speaks a little English so tries some English on me. 

Berea always has a beautiful worship service.  They sing around three very active songs, so the people around me are clapping in beat to the music and some get a little bouncy.  That is followed by two or three slower, worship songs.  I think the worship service sets the mood for the entire service.  It sets my mood for at least Sunday, sometimes beyond.

Gustavo preached from Revelation 16.  The basic premise of his sermon is that Jesus is coming soon.  The signs around us point to that.  Some might say, “I’ve heard that all my life.”  But that also is a sign pointing to the return of Jesus.  In 2 Peter 3, it says people will ask where is this coming that was promised?  Not asking to know when it is, but to mock it and say I’ve heard that all my life. 

Jesus is returning soon.  I don’t know when.  As you read this?  Two weeks from today?  When He does return, will you be ready?  I know for me that causes a lot of reflection.  Am I ready for Christ or will I be embarrassed when he returns?  What about you?

Thank you, Gustavo, for the good message. 

Link to my Amazon author page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...