Thursday, March 2, 2017

March 2, 2017 - An Attempt


March 2, 2017

An Attempt

I tried, yes I did!  But I just couldn’t do it.

In the 80s, I used to walk the First Ring in the evening.  It was good exercise and a good time to think and pray.  I tried again not long after I first arrived in 2016.  It was a cool breezy day, and I stopped a lot.  I was able to do it in about 3 hours.

Well, I was determined that I would do it again upon returning last week.  So I scheduled a day that was going to be sunny.  I got up at 7:00 and took a quick shower.  I was out of the house by 7:30.

My plan was to first stop at Teconté, which is two blocks from my house.  I made a discovery.  They are not open as early as I expected.  The door was open for one of the workers to go in, but the restaurant was dark.  That meant I would have to change my scheduled first stop and look for food along the route.

I didn’t get a block from there when I realized I would have to stick to the shady side of the street.  It wasn’t even 8:00 and it was already hot.  The humidity didn’t help at all!  It was better on the shady side of the street.  There was a little breeze, but I must emphasize that it was only a little.

I found a lady selling empanadas and juice to drink and bought both for about $0.75.  The empanada was cold.  The apple juice was hot.  The juice was actually very good.  I didn’t finish half of the empanada.

The hot drink didn’t help things much either.  I went two more blocks and I was drenched in sweat!  I could see about three blocks ahead an apartment building on the plaza across from the cemetery.  That would mark a quarter of the journey.  I was not a quarter of the journey along the route and I gave up.

I crossed the First Ring and headed back into town, planning to cut through the center.  That is when I discovered a delightful little park with the two murals I am posting in this blog.  It was shady, so I sat for a while.  The humidity was such that I still wasn’t drying off, but I was cooled off enough not to take the coward’s way of getting a taxi.

Zigzagging through the old neighborhoods of the town center, I found myself back at Teconté, buying me some cuñapé for a better breakfast at home.

Yes, I failed, but I am looking at the weather for next week.  It looks like there will be some cooler days.  Shall I try again?

Link to my Amazon author page.



No comments:

Post a Comment

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...