Tuesday, March 21, 2017

March 21, 2017 - Lenten Reading Plan


Lenten Reading Plan

At the beginning of the year, Pastor Dave of Bristol Baptist Church always talks about the importance of reading the bible.  The new year is a good time to start a new reading plan.  I had just finished reading through Psalms and Proverbs, and was a few weeks from completing a reading plan on the Pauline letters, so it was a good time to search for a new one.


I discovered a 40-day read through the New Testament and thought it would be perfect for the days of Lent.  This plan skips Sundays, but so does Lent.  Lent is the 40 days of fasting between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday.  There is really 46 days, but Lent does not include Sundays as days of fasting.  These instead are days of feasting, joyful celebration of the coming resurrection of Christ.


This is how the plan is described on the bible app: “What if you spent the next 40 days walking along side of Jesus, listening to his life-changing teachings, visiting churches with Paul, and falling more in love with God on each turning page?  You’re invited to read through the entire New Testament in 40 days – with a Sabbath rest each week.  Our prayer is that at the end, you’ll feel so spiritually full you’ll never want to live on empty again.”


When I read that, I thought, “that is what I need.”  Do you ever feel drained, like you are running on empty?  I do too often.  For the next few months, I don’t have a lot of responsibilities.  When would be a better time to spend in God’s word than now?

Pray for me as I try this “walk along side of Jesus.”  If you tell me you are praying, I’ll pray for you too.




No comments:

Post a Comment

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...