Thursday, March 9, 2017

March 9, 2017 - Reunion


Reunion
Disappearing off the face of the earth was my original plan for my return to Bolivia.  I am an introvert, but I also like contact with others.  On my fifth day back, I let it slip that I was in Santa Cruz.  Because of that, the inevitable happened.
“Mark, let’s have lunch!”  The next thing I know, I’m having lunch at the Mandarin, eating delicious Chinese pork, and catching up with Sandra on the last three months since we were together. 
Sandra and Andrea

“In a few days, I’ll invite you to dinner.  The boys want to see you too.”  That is how we left our lunch, making plans for dinner a few days later.
Thursday I went to Berea church.  Texting back and forth with Debbie, we decided to surprise Pastor Percy, her husband.  We did.  When he got up to speak at the Thursday evening prayer meeting, he had a look of surprise on his face when he said, “Hermano Mark is back.”  It felt good to be welcomed back to a church that loves people so much, not just from Pastor Percy, but others in the church.
A few days later I had that meal with Sandra and her boys.  Waiting to be picked up, outside my building, I ran into Jimena’s son David.  He is usually a shy young man, but talked to me more in 5 minutes than he had the other times I met him.  Now I am making plans for dinner with Jimena's family.
At Sandra’s house, Carlos got me caught up on everything going on in the school.  He is working on his shyness, speaking more in class and even taking a part in the school play!  Mateo just wanted 100% of my attention to fall on him, usually Minecraft or some other game he was playing.  These kids are the children of the family that adopted me into their family in the 80s.  The Sanchez family will always be my Bolivian family.
Carlos

Mateo

Then I nervously went to visit the Learning Center.  I was nervous because of the decisions I have made concerning the school.  I’m not returning this school year and next school year has not been decided.  I was not sure how my students would respond, or the administration. 
I was warmly welcomed by everyone.  Jeff filled me in on a lot of things happening at the school.  Emily (this girl has an amazing love for Christ) and I talked about students dear to my heart.  Debbie and I laughed about surprising Percy the other day.  Mariela was teaching, so I only had a moment to say hello, but her husband, Fernando, scheduled me for a week at their home in Samaipata.  When I ran into Matilde, Martha, and Mary (a biblical trio, huh?) they made plans to meet for coffee Saturday morning.
Outing to Samaipata with some of my
Bolivian friends from last September

I think I saw every one of my students except for five or six.  I had to explain that I was not coming back this school year, though many begged and one offered money.  Those who know me, know I love my students.  There are many teachers that are better teachers than me, but my students know I love them.  I think that is why I have always been a favorite teacher to many.  That's really all it takes to be a good teacher - the love.
By that same evening, I already had plans to dine with the Beams family, coffee with some of my teacher friends, and tentative plans for dinner with Jimena’s family when she discovered, through her son, that I was back in Bolivia.
I would love nothing better than to spend two or three nights a week chatting with friends, either here in Bolivia, or my friends back in Texas.  I can never get enough of that.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...