Monday, April 10, 2017

April 10, 2017 - Conquest of the First Ring


Conquest of the First Ring

Santa Cruz was originally a small town.  It has only been a few decades since they have paved the city.  In fact, missionaries have told me they remember when the old part of town, within the First Ring, was unpaved.  That is hard to imagine in the huge cosmopolitan city of Santa Cruz of the 21st Century!
Today, Santa Cruz is built in consecutive rings, or anillos in Spanish.  The First Ring is a boulevard that surrounds the old town of Santa Cruz.  Here you will find many old buildings with a definite colonial feel. 
When I was younger, in the 80s, I used to walk the First Ring in the evenings.  I was younger and skinnier, and could accomplish that in about an hour.  When I returned in July of 2016, it was one of my goals to walk the ring.  The time I did it in August took about 3 hours and left me covered in sweat.  It took longer, because I stopped often to take pictures and had rest breaks at every park bench that was empty.


I gained too much weight returning to Texas in December, so when I returned in February, I had a goal of walking the First Ring at least once a week.  My first attempt got me as far as the statue of the man carrying a rifle and a steering wheel – I need to find the back story to that statue.
Attempt #2

Today, on the Ides of March, I made attempt number 2.  I landed on the First Ring, which is barely a block from my apartment, at 7:57.  My first stop was Teconté, where I bought an empanada to eat along the way. 
That day was breezier and cooler than my last try.  I was doing pretty good when I passed the statue of the man with a steering wheel.  I was starting to get sweaty, but wasn’t too tired.  I had several things to do this day, but decided I would try to make it at least to the Cemetery.
I love the Cemetery!  It has quiet little streets in it, with flowering trees and park benches in shady spots.  The First Ring roars during the day, but behind the walls of the Cemetery, it is quiet enough to hear the birds singing.


I was ready to head home, but decided since I was close to the Avion Pirata, I could go that far.  I wrote a blog about this plane that was forced to crash land because it was carrying contraband.  It is a cool little park dominated by this airplane.  This is why I love the First Ring.  There are so many cool things to see, including some of the best statues in Santa Cruz.
From the Avion Pirata, I took a trufi home.  A trufi is a group taxi.  It is cheap, but goes a specified route.  This one circles the First Ring.  I saw how this guy makes money. Just before I got in, he let out passengers and picked up an elderly man.  Half a block later, he picked me up.  A block later he picked up two ladies.  When I got out, about a mile later, he had made 8 Bs.  He probably could circle the First ring about once every 20 minutes and make about $5 or $6 in that time.  That is good money here in Bolivia.

Attempt #3

On March 20, I was on the First Ring by 7:14.  I thought maybe if I started earlier, I could get it accomplished, but I wasn’t worried.  I could try in a few more days.
I want to go to Cotoca later in the week, but didn't want to pay 30 Bs. for a taxi.  I know there are trufis.  My friend, Anna, told me they start in Los Pozos and pass by the Melchor Pinto statue.  So I wanted to at least make it to Melchor Pinto.  I was there in just 25 minutes and was surprised to see 5 trufis with Cotoca on their windows while I waited at the traffic light.  All were empty, so this is where I will go to get my trufi.
The Cemetery had yet to open, so I couldn’t rest there and I didn’t stay at the Avion Pirata for long.  There was a man that kept changing park benches and talking to others in whispers, while nodding his head at me.  I don’t know what he was doing, so I just left.

A few minutes later I was across the street from the Palacio de Justicia, the tallest building in Bolivia and realized I was basically half of the way around the First Ring.  I had not had breakfast, so I stopped for a $0.50 orange juice.  It was not quite an hour yet and I was not really tired, so I decided to conquer the ring.

First there was a crazy building I was told only Brazilians live in.  Then there is the Baby Jesus Hospital (Niño Jesus) and then a little park called 6th of August.  Not far after that was the Cañoto statue and I knew I was almost home.  Suddenly the crowds were huge and I knew I was near the Ramada Market just a few blocks from home.

In an hour and a half, I had conquered the ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...