Wednesday, April 12, 2017

April 12, 2017 - Cotoca


Cotoca

It rained all last night. I never heard any thunder, but saw the lightning.  When my alarm went off at 6 am, I didn’t even bother to get out of bed.  It was too wet to venture outside.  But around 7:30, I looked out the window to see a beautiful day unfolding.
About an hour later, I was heading out the door, looking for an empanada at Teconté.  I got there at the right moment to get one fresh out of the oven.  It was still overcast and a nice breeze was blowing as I walked down Iralá.
Today, I decided to use some recently acquired skills.  I wanted to see how cheaply I could get to Cotoca and back. 


First, I needed to get a trufi that follows the route of the First Ring.  I could save 2 Bs. to walk from Iralá to Melchor Pinto, but that is a 20 to 30-minute walk.  Instead I could use the extra time in Cotoca.
The rotunda at Melchor Pinto was flooded.  The rainy season is supposed to be over, but it seems there are a few rainy days left.  At the rotunda, I needed to look for a different trufi, one that goes to Cotoca.  If you are new to my blog, or forgot, a trufi is a group taxi.  The Trufi that goes to Cotoca, a 30-minute ride costs 5 Bs., about $0.70.
Cotoca is a small town of about 20,000 to the east of Santa Cruz.  Today there is not much rural land between the two.  It seems a continual stretch of city along the highway, as you pass factories, stores, and residences.  But when you arrive at Cotoca, it all seems to change, because Cotoca has the feel of a small town, or like you have gone back 25 years to a simpler age.


I got out at the Plaza and wandered into the compound of the Virgen de Cotoca.  There is a beautiful church with a large patio, with lots of shady seating on the west side of the Plaza.  The church has been here since 1799.  During that entire time, many in the Department of Santa Cruz consider it to be their holiest site.


The story of how it came to be goes something like this.  In the 1700s, Cotoca was mostly inhabited by Afro-Bolivian slaves who worked the sugar cane plantations.  One day the owner of a plantation was murdered and it was rumored that two slaves did the deed.  In fear of their lives, they ran and hid in the forest.  As they were looking for firewood, they discovered the image of the Virgin stuck in the trunk of a tree.  They prayed that she would vindicate them.  The next morning, they carried the image back to Cotoca, hoping the authorities would believe their story.  To their joy, the man who had committed the murder had been caught and coincidentally confessed to the murder at the exact time that the men found the image. 
Other miracles occurred in the ensuing years, prompting the authorities of Santa Cruz to order the construction of a shrine to house the image of the Virgin. 
I stayed a while in the patio, but started getting hungry.  When Debbie had taken me here in July of 2015, we had sonso baked on a stick in the market.  I had to find some of that for my real breakfast.  An empanada is just not enough!  The “food court” of the market has moved since then and is now across the street from the church.  I found a stall selling sonso in less than a minute.  This sonso has the consistency of mashed potatoes and is cheesy, with a crunchy crust.  A delicious meal for just 5 Bs.


There is not a lot else to do in Cotoca, except wander the markets and streets.  By 11:00, it was hot, even when I stayed on the shady side of the street.  But in my wanderings, I realized there is a lot more to Cotoca than I supposed.  I must go back one day soon, when the weather promises to be cool.


Instead of an expensive 5 Bs. trufi, I took a 2 Bs. microbus.  Every time you get a chance, you should save $0.45, right?

1 comment:

  1. I remember you taking me to Cocota when I was in Bolivia Dec 1986

    ReplyDelete

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...