Wednesday, April 19, 2017

April 19, 2017 - Staying Busy


Staying Busy

My foreign exchange student from Germany is coming tomorrow and it is the last day of the month.  Bills had to be paid, house had to be cleaned, and I needed to look for the hostel Hans is staying in.
I didn’t rush to get up.  The banks don’t open until 9:00, so there was no hurry to go to the Banco Fassil next door.  So leisurely I got ready, enjoying the cool wind blowing through my apartment.  One of my favorite this about this place is the placement of the windows.  The wind either blows out of the north or the south.  One window faces north and the other south.  Rarely do I not have a breeze blowing.


When I went to the Banco Fassil, all was well paying my electric and gas bills.  I usually change Bolivianos into dollars here, because my landlady wants her rent in dollars.  Today, they were having trouble with the computer recording my transactions.  Three times the clerk went to his boss.  I could overhear the conversation.
“Are you sure his carnet (resident visa) is legal?”

“Yes, he changes money here at least once a month.”

They kept whispering things like that then looked at me suspiciously.  Every time the clerk went back to his computer I asked what the problem was.  Every time he assured me all was well.  I was about to go look for a different place to change money when he got the computer to work.  Usually the Banco Fassil takes me 10 minutes, but today I was there close to 40.
At the Banco Ganadero, I paid my rent.  I asked the clerk if they changed money.  She said they do.  Next time I’ll just do my transaction there, since I am leaving the dollars there.
In a few more minutes I was done paying my phone bill, across from the Ganadero, and bought an orange juice before walking to the Plaza.  I can pay the Internet in several places, but I go to the Plaza, as an excuse to eat at La Pascana.
Today, there was a demonstration going on in front of the city offices.  The signs were demanding justice and the young people were yelling about justice.  I asked a man looking out his shop door what they were demonstrating for. 

“I have no idea.  They keep yelling for justice, but they don’t say how their justice is being infringed upon.”


I never discovered why they were there.
After a leisurely lunch, I went to look for the hostel Hans will be staying in.  He decided on a hostel rather than my apartment, so he could have his freedom.  He likes staying in hostels and making friends and spending the evenings with those friends.  Staying 4 or 5 days with an old guy could get rather boring.  We were planning on meeting when he arrived, so at least I needed to know where he was going to stay.
I recognized the address being across the street from the San Roque church.  For 15 minutes I walked up and down all the streets in that neighborhood and could not find the address.  I went home and texted Hans to find the exact address.  Later in the day, when it was cooler, I went back to look again.


I was shocked when I saw the building with the hostel’s address in the process of being demolished.  I began to wonder if he was the product of a scam, but studying the place, I discovered a small piece of paper barely stuck in the window that directed me to go around the corner.  On a non-descript door was another paper saying welcome to the hostel.  I then noticed several young people at a restaurant next door and a few coming and going through the door.  This had to be the place.

I hope he enjoys his stay in Santa Cruz.




No comments:

Post a Comment

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...