Friday, April 14, 2017

April 14, 2017 - My Birthday Gift

y Birthday Gift
Four years ago to the day, I was blessed to have a young man from Germany, named Hans, move into my house.  He was a foreign exchange student that was not doing well in the place he had been assigned and was about to go home instead of finish the term.  Now he was sitting across from me at my favorite restaurant eating pique a lo macho. 

Hans had served a year in the German military based in Berlin.  He had his rent paid for and was fed every day.  He even had a train pass, so he could visit family on the weekends.  He quickly realized he didn’t have to spend any money during his military year and saved it all for a 6-month backpack tour of South America.  He had already been to Brazil, Argentina, and Paraguay, and was now stopping in Santa Cruz before hitting the rest of Bolivia, then Chile, Peru, and the Amazon.
Sunday after church I gave him a whirlwind tour of the sites near the Plaza and my neighborhood.  Like many that come here for the first time, they are amazed at the beauty you can find in a third world country.  My neighborhood would not be third world anywhere in the world.  It is green, clean, and modern.

On Monday, I made him get up early and take a morning walk with me.  It is not that I am healthier.  He is very fit.  But he is 20 and kids that young want to sleep.  But he gladly went for a morning walk around the First Ring, including looking for blooming toborochis and a stop in the cemetery.  We stopped for a breakfast at a place I didn’t even know existed, until a friend told me about it a few days ago.  The Café Patrimonio near the Plaza is a refurbished typical Santa Cruz home of days gone by, with two patios.  Now it has become an excellent art gallery.

We were going to top the day off with a visit to the zoo, so he could see the local animals to the region, but I discovered the zoo is closed on Mondays.  Since I couldn’t end the day of sightseeing so soon, I took him to our mall.  Yes, I took him to the mall.  Our mall is not so different than a mall in Europe or North America.  In fact, you could easily be fooled into thinking you were in the USA.  But we went there to have a good hamburger at the Hard Rock Café.
He was not staying with me, rather in a hostel.  That afternoon he met some people his age planning on going to Samaipata and beyond in Bolivia.  So now he has some traveling companions for the rest of the trip.
Tuesday, we did not start out as early.  We met in the Plaza with plans to go to Cotoca and the Botanical Garden, except that it rained for about 15 hours straight and was still raining when we met.  We did not hurry at the restaurant, hoping the rain would stop.  It let up a little, but was still sprinkling when we left, but I knew it would be too wet for the Botanical Gardens.  The sky now had patches of blue.  It seemed the rain was passing, so we decided to visit the zoo, because it would have paved sidewalks.

So much for blue patches!  It rained every minute we were in the zoo.  After 5 minutes it didn’t matter.  We were soaked to the skin, so we might as well enjoy the visit.  The Santa Cruz Zoo has many animals behind chain-link fences like the States had decades ago, but it also has some special places, as good, or better, than any American zoo.  My favorite is the aviary, where you can get inches from toucans and macaws.
I am writing this on my birthday.  I have just dropped him off at the place where the trufis go to Samaipata.  He has two companions from Australia with him, and waiting in Samaipata are new friends from Germany, Israel, and France.  I am so glad he is getting this experience, and even more glad that he blessed me on my birthday.
Thank you, Hans.  Considering you are probably in the mountains of La Paz right now, I doubt you will read this.  But know you are always loved by your American Dad.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...