Tuesday, May 16, 2017

May 16, 2017 - Cochabamba, Morning of Day 4


Cochabamba, Morning of Day 4

Today, my last full day in Cochabamba, my plan was to hit as many places on my list as possible.  Both Anna and Sandra had given me a list of places to see in Cochabamba.  I was managing to click them off the list, one by one.  Today was wrap up day.  It turned out to be a beautiful and memorable day.


I started with breakfast at Wistupiku, traditional Cochabamba breakfast restaurant.  I had café con leche and a cuñapé.  My mom asked me the other day if I am drinking coffee now, since I rarely have done so in the past.  I guess I have.  I’ve learned to love a hot coffee with one of the delicious Bolivian breads.


My first stop was the Cemetery.  Bolivian cemeteries are always a feast of the senses.  Beautiful cascades of bougainvillea over several tombs.  The scent of jasmine wafting with the breeze.  Hundreds of statues, some plain, but some exquisite.  A group of young men playing the guitar and accordion.  An elderly woman with a bouquet of baby’s breath almost as big as she was.  Peaceful beauty.

I easily found a taxi upon leaving the Cemetery.  I wanted to find the Centro Cultural Martadero.  My driver was nice, encouraging me to move to move to Cochabamba, but he let me out a few blocks away from the Centro.  If I did not have a map with me, I would have been totally lost in a rather sketchy neighborhood.  I found the intersection, but nothing that looked like an art gallery.  Glancing into a fenced in garden, I saw some sculptures.  I guess that was the Centro, but it was closed.

I found another taxi driver to take me to my next destination across the river.  Wouldn’t you know it, my taxi driver was a missionary pastor, starting his own church.  How many national missionaries have I encountered now as taxi drivers?  I don't remember.


The Casona Mayorazga was the first house built for a Spaniard in Cochabamba, meaning it dates from the mid-1500s.  It is the Spanish colonial style that I love, a house built around a patio, with all the rooms opening to the patio.  It is how I would build a house if I had the money.  I was not that impressed by the art on display, but there were two rooms filled with old photographs.  I felt transported back to a beautiful past in Cochabamba.


Not far away was the Templo Cala Cala, a modern church set in a shady garden, facing a nice little park.  It was closed, probably in preparation for Easter services that would begin that night.


As I was walking in the neighborhood, not quite ready to seek out a taxi, I stumbled upon a park about a mile long, called Lincoln Park.  Like so many parks and plazas in Bolivia, it was filled with trees, flowers, and shady benches to relax.  A block away, running parallel to the park is the Avenida America, a street filled with luxury high rises, boutiques, and restaurants.  I could imagine my mom living in one of these high rises, walking in the park on a sunny morning, shopping in the stores, and lunching at one of the restaurants.  Wanna move here, Mom?


At first, I was disappointed at the Botanical Garden.  That could be because my taxi driver put me out on a side street.  The gate opened into piles of trash, stinky bathrooms, and an empty pool.   But there was actually more to the garden, once I got away from that area.  There were lovely walks under the palms, beds of flowers, bees, and pretty statues. 

I was ready for a break.  Lunch and a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...