Sunday, May 7, 2017

May 7, 2017 - Iglesia La Pompeya


Iglesia La Pompeya
There is a small Catholic church a few doors from my house.  I discovered it quite by accident, exploring my neighborhood when I first arrived.  How do I describe this place?  Unique.
I first noticed it because of the toborochi, pregnant tree, in front of the church.  It has one of the fattest bellies of any toborochi I have ever seen.  Though April is over, it is just now beginning to bloom.

So I was snapping pictures of the toborochi and noticed the unique fence beside what I thought was a house.  It is a mixture of wood, metal, and wire, except for the sunburst, forming random patterns.  I looked beyond the fence and saw a garden that looked like it came out of someone’s dream of a modern, woodsy, whimsical garden from the 70s or early 80s.  And then I saw it had a steeple above the house, and a sign that said Iglesia La Pompeya, the Pompeya Church.

When I have ever mentioned the church, nobody knows anything about it.  I did some research on the internet and found nothing, except address and phone number to reserve the place for weddings.  On the door of the church is a plaque that tells of an original construction date in the 1950s and a reconstruction in the 70s, and further reconstruction a few years ago.  So I can’t relate any history about this beautiful little church.

The church to me will always be this pretty little church.  I have only seen it open once.  There were three ladies sitting at the front talking quietly.  The gardens are always clean and quiet.  It is a fitting addition to my little neighborhood.





No comments:

Post a Comment

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...