Tuesday, May 9, 2017

May 9, 2017 - Cochabamba at Night


Cochabamba at Night

My first night in Cochabamba I was very tired.  But I didn’t want to go to bed too early, afraid I might wake up at 4 am.  So I went to the Plaza Colon, a block from my hotel room.
I’m already accustomed to life on a Bolivian plaza.  They come alive after dark.  Vendors crowd the sidewalk selling food, candy, popcorn, toys, and watches.  Families gather to stroll.  Kids chase each other.  Young couples meet to walk hand in hand, or to smooch on a bench. 


My second night was spent on the Plaza 14 de Septiembre, which is about 6 blocks from my hotel.  Same story as the night before, but in a prettier setting.  The fountain with the three Graces has become one of my favorite spots in Cochabamba.  Near the church was a man proclaiming he has the power to curse your wife for cheating on you or healing those who are sick.  I had a sick feeling in my stomach watching him do simple tricks.  I started to pray that if his work was of the devil that he would be stopped.  It started raining and the crowd around him broke up.
I started heading back to my hotel.  For a few blocks, there was cover from the rain, but soon I had to hide in a store door.  After a few minutes, it seemed to let up, so I started walking again.  I did not get half a block until it was pouring.  I slipped into a parking garage and watched the water rise in the street.  Soon it would be over the curb and washing me away.  I saw a taxi and managed to get in, soaked to the skin.  My night adventure was over.


On my third night, I visited a pizzeria a block from my hotel.  It was a funky little place, with delicious pizza.  You know the pizza is good when it takes 45 minutes for it to cook.  The restaurant also had a young man from Spain who played the guitar.  This quickly became my favorite restaurant in Cochabamba.
Several people had told me I needed to see the Aguas Danzantes, the Dancing Waters.  I was stuck in a taxi for almost 20 minutes trying to get there, because the traffic was so bad.  I later discovered I was just a few blocks away and could have walked it in half the time.  The colorful fountains were beautiful, but unless you want to meet every single family that lives in Cochabamba, I would not recommend it.  There was not a place to stand that I wasn’t bumped, often by wet children and teens.  I didn’t stay long.


On my way back to the hotel, I stopped by the Convent of Santa Clara.  There was a lot of activity, but not as crowded as the Dancing Waters.  There were kids break dancing.  Another group was doing what looked like a line dance.  A small group of six or seven was practicing a traditional dance of the Andes.  They were very good. 
My last night in Cochabamba, started at the Pizzeria Tambo again.  The girl who was waiting on me did not look Bolivian.  She had blonde hair and green eyes.  So I decided to ask.  She was from France, backpacking through South America.  She had already been here for 4 months, but liked Cochabamba, so asked the hostel connected to the pizzeria if she could have a job.  How cool is that?


I walked over to the Plaza Colon after enjoying my pizza and discovered the place was packed.  It looked like a carnival had come to town.  The sidewalks were filled with tables and grills with delicious meat roasting.   I watched some kids play on a bull machine.  Nobody could stay on for a minute.  There were carousels, trampolines, and other fun things for the kids.  If I was five, my mom would have pulled me screaming from that place.
Each night in Cochabamba was different, but left me feeling connected to this place.  I loved it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...