Thursday, May 4, 2017

May 4, 2017 - The Cristo de la Concordia


Cristo de la Concordia

The gleaming white statue of Christ was one of the first things I saw in Cochabamba.  As my taxi turned onto Calle Mexico where I was staying, I saw it in the distance.  I had to visit it my first day in the city!


The Cristo de la Concordia, Christ of Peace, is made of concrete and steel and stands on the scrubby hill of San Pedro, just east of Cochabamba.  It was modeled after Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, who is now the shorter brother.  Rio’s Christ is 125 feet tall; Cochabamba’s is 133.  There is one in Poland slightly higher.  The arms span 107 feet, creating the illusion of a cross.  It is 9,300 feet above sea level, so it also becomes the highest image of Christ in the world.


Nine thousand, three hundred feet!  I had just climbed San Sebastian hill to view the Heroinas de la Coronilla.  My lungs were clear.  So clear there was no oxygen in them.  I planned ahead this week, knowing Cochabamba is at a high altitude.   I had pills for altitude sickness with me.  But almost any medicine makes me sleepy.  I was beat after going up and down La Coronilla.  But I had to do this one too.
I arrived at the cable cars only to discover they were closed for repairs.  I could look at the hill and see I would not make it a tenth of the way to the top.  So I took a taxi.  I have to confess I was irritated at this taxi driver.  He changed my rate three times.  First, it was 20 Bs. to make the trip, there and back.  At the top, he said I misunderstood the price, it was 30 Bs.  On the way back, he said I had to pay 40 Bs. if I wanted to get down the hill.  I could walk if I wanted, but he wasn’t leaving until I paid the 40.


On top of the world, where the oxygen dares not go, it was cool, though the sun cooks you in a minute.  I couldn’t breathe.  I don’t think my heart was beating.  I intimately understood what it meant to be breathless.  Cochabamba is not that big, surrounded by the dark brown mountains.


On days, like this day, I feel so undeserving of the blessings around me.  Why have I been blessed to be in the world’s top 5% of wealth (all Americans are in the top 5%, even those on food stamps)?  I’m retired and not yet 60.  I’ve visited 30 countries.  I am looking out over a beautiful city, far from my home.  Why me? 


For now, thank you God for my experience at the Christ of Peace.  Bless this city and its people.



No comments:

Post a Comment

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...