Thursday, May 25, 2017

May 25, 2017 - Texas in Bolivia


Texas in Bolivia

For you in Texas, it is hard to imagine life without tacos, jalapeños, and Texas hamburgers.   You cannot imagine my delight when a friend told me about a hamburger place on the Second Ring that advertises Texas hamburgers and kolaches. 


Kolaches?  If you are from my part of Texas you know exactly what those pastries topped by fruit or some other delicacy.  My friend, Anna, told me the owner was from Texas.  I had to go.  Monday of this week, she posted a picture of his delicious burgers.  So, I decided, today was the day!

Even though my house needed cleaning, and I avoided cleaning it all weekend, I went anyway.  It started as a cool windy morning, so I decided to walk.  It was a 45-minute walk, but I stopped a few times to take pictures and sat in the plaza across the street from the Cemetery, so it took me almost twice that long.  By the time, I was at the plaza, the sun was out and it was getting warm.  So glad I opted for short sleeves!
Hungry?


The Big Tex Kolache Bakery is on the Second Ring and Avenida Alemania, a busy intersection.  From the outside, it looked much like any other burger place in Sant Cruz.  Once inside I saw more than a dozen varieties of kolaches and burger menu.  I ordered a bacon cheese burger, without onions, but smothered in jalapeños.  I was a little early for lunch, but that didn’t matter.  I don’t mind a 20-minute wait for a delicious burger.

While I was waiting, the owner, Adrian, came in.  One of his workers told him I was from Texas.

“Where are you from?” he asked in perfect Texan.

“Ennis,” I answered.  “Since I am from kolache country, I had to come and try.”

It turns out he was born in Houston, but lived many years in Ennis.  We talked about many places we knew in common.  He is married to a Bolivian lady and they have a young son.  They wanted to raise him in the simpler life of Bolivia.  So that is why he is here.


Except that morning, he had a car wreck and was frustrated at paying off the girl he hit.  It seems she was starting and stopping over and over.  She pulled out in an intersection and slammed on her brakes.  That is when he crashed into her.  She came out of the car screaming about her neck and threatening to call the police.  In Bolivia, if you are American and get into a wreck, they will impound your car until you pay dozens of fines giving numerous officials a financially prosperous month.  She suggested they go to a body shop nearby.  Though her car was covered with scratches and dents, the body shop still said it should cost him $100.  Now do you understand why I don’t want a car in Santa Cruz?

Still, he was glad to welcome a fellow Texan into his restaurant.  I had a very filling hamburger, but walked out with several kolaches for later.  Not only will I be back, but I am already making plans for a repeat visit with several different friends.

Texas in Bolivia is always welcome!



1 comment:

  1. How fun to find a place where the owner had also lived in Ennnis - no wonder he was making Kolaches....

    ReplyDelete

July 8, 2017 - Monte Blanco

Monte Blanco  Imagine sitting on a hill, under the blue skies with green farmlands stretched before you, surrounded by the hills of the ...